Sunday, January 10, 2010

World poverty still thrives in even modern civilizations

I've finally arrived in my final destination (at least for now) of Cardiff, Wales. I've been visiting a couple of cities in Europe for the last week. I left the US from the Dullas Airport in Washington, DC to arrive early 2 January in Fumachino Airport outside of Rome. I left Rome and headed to Paris by way of a sleeper train (I don't recommend it in the least), of which I could touch both walls at the same time. The train from Paris to London was particular vulnerable to ice on the rails, as I learned. Our less-than-2-hour train ride took 7 hours.

Rome was a fantastically impressive city to look at. The buildings were beautiful and there were expensive buildings everywhere, but nothing higher than St. Peter's Basillica in Vatican City. There's a law against building anything higher in Rome. Vatican City is the result of a deal between Mussolini and the pope orchestrated for Mussolini to gain more political power, making the Pope the leader of only the religious aspect of the Catholic Church and Mussolini the sole governmental power of Rome and Italy.The political science major and Latin language minor inside of me had a field day while in Rome. After touring the Colosseum, I was taken on a complimentary tour of the Palatine Hill and the Forum (I'm pretty sure the guide thought I was nuts). It was a dream come true to be in the very place from which our American political system was modeled. To be able to look out into the place where Cicero defended so many men and, after he was killed for speaking against Mark Antony, where his hands and head were displayed for all to see as a warning was simply electrifying. I can't begin to describe how it felt to see the Senate building and the Temple of Vesta. I stood in the palace of Augustus and the palace of Domitian. The Roman people are still reminded of their ancient government every time they walk down a street by the "SPQR" (Senatus Populusque Romani) that adorns every entrance to the underground systems. The people are reminded by those covers that the city was founded and run by the "Senate and the People of Rome", and they are still run by the people today. They have always had the power and they are ensured to always keep the power in their own city.


What really stood out to me was the poor and homeless people of Rome. In a city which houses the richest organization in the world, the presence of need was astounding. I saw at least three beggars with clubbed feet, one with clubbed hands as well. They were on the streets in the most crowded tourist attractions, begging for money. The man near Treve Fountain didn't even have a wheelchair; he got around by sliding on a broken skateboard. There was also a demonstration by the homeless living in tents.


We need to open our eyes to those who are even still in need, though many of us have closed our eyes and denied that such injustices are a result of sloth. These people have still so many injustices to overcome before they can even begin to reach the standard of living for the poor in America.


In Paris, where it was much colder, the presence of beggars was less obvious, but still present. The clothing of the poor are quite distinguishable, moreso than those homeless in America. The city itself is beautiful, but the subways are filled with homeless men and women (and their dogs). They stayed underground, where it was warm and away from the wind. They weren't happy about being there either. And they displayed it openly. I mistakenly took a picture of one man while I was trying to take a picture of the Star Wars music poster above him. He yelled at me in French. I guess it was a good thing, as I couldn't understand a word he said.

In Cardiff, I'll be working for the nationalist party for Wales, Plaid Cymru (playd KUMree). Wales is one of the poorest countries in the European Union. While in Rome, I was asked why I would go to Wales, like it was a dirty place. No one goes there unless they're Welsh. Even then, I suppose its not a desirable place to live. The country depends on the UK Parliament in Westminster to give them an allotment of funds to be used across the country. The majority of income comes from sheep farmers and a light services catering to tourists. The country reached its height in the industrial era through mining for slate and coal. Of course, the major sights include Millenium Centre, Roald Dahl Plass, the Senedd building, and the quarry where the stones from Stonehenge were cut. Ah, Wales... how I love this country already.

I've been placed on a mission to find some good fish and chips.


♥ Blondie

No comments:

Post a Comment